Ethical & Legal Guidelines in Switzerland
March 22 @ 4:00 am – 6:00 pm
In collaboration with Zurich Insurance and C2, the Mental Health Initiative (MHI) is offering a professional continuing education workshop in English to orient Mental Health Professionals to the Ethics and Legal Standards in Switzerland. This will be the last presentation of the day at the C2 Open Space event on March 22nd 2024. More Information about the full day event can be found here.
Do you work in the field of psychiatry, psychotherapy, social work, and mental health and sometimes wonder if you are following the appropriate Swiss legal and ethical guidelines? Finding answers to these questions can be difficult.
The aim of this workshop is to give international mental health practitioners an overview of the legal duties required in Switzerland to practice responsibly and safely. The workshop will include topic-based reviews as well as, question-and-answer opportunities in which participants can ask questions about specific practice issues from the legal or ethical point of view. We are glad to have a legal expert Simon Mani from Zürich Insurance to help provide an overview to navigate some of the complexities.
Topics to be covered by Zürich Insurance respresentative Simon Mani, include but are not limited to the following:
- Managing data protection in line with the new Swiss Data Protection (FADP) laws. Safety and risks of use of various electronic tools in one’s practice (records, email, invoicing, etc.)
- Reporting abuse and neglect of both children and adults
- Age of consent with regard to treatment
- Age of consent with regard to sexual relations
- Special educational dispensations/accommodation for school and university students in classrooms and in public examinations
- Student rights in Switzerland
- Certificated medical leave for children in school and adults in employment.
- Regulations about working across cantons in Switzerland
- Legal regulations around titles and modalities in the field of mental health
- Grounds for compulsory treatment in hospital including drug treatment
- Professional confidentiality requirements for debt register in the case of unpaid invoices.
DISCLAIMER: Please be aware this workshop is not a substitute for individual ethical and legal concerns regarding your practice.
We are excited to be at a new location, the beautiful NMB (Neu Museum Biel). Seevorstadt 56, 2502 Biel. From the train station, it is a short 10-12 min walk or 5 min bus ride away. There is also garage parking around the corner from the museum.